Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Lost - Creating the skull

I decided to start the Lost with the skull as it's the most defining feature of the character. I also decided to make the model by primarily sculpting rather than creating the base mesh in Mudbox. So I started with a sphere in Mudbox and sculpted out the basic shaper using this for reference.

At one stage I exported one of the lowest levels of the sculpt into 3DS max and adjusted the geometry before taking it back into Mudbox for more sculpting. After the skull was as shaped as possible I tried a couple of techniques on Mudbox using stamps to add more detail. I made two stamps in photoshop and imported them into Mudbox, the first was a crack which used to stencil in some fine cracks on the skull and the second was a slightly rough texture to add the porous texture that bones have.
Here is the Sculpt:

Again I took the lowest level of the sculpt into 3ds Max to bake onto, after deleting unneeded geometry I baked the normals using Xnormal and applied the normals to the low poly:

After this bake I started looking into re-topology tools and came across Topogun, I invested some time into experimenting with Topogun and produced a new low poly for the skull, the useful thing about re-topology tools like Topogun is that it allows me to work in sculpting programs like Mudbox with out any worry of how the topology is laid out until I decide to re-topolise the high poly. Topogun works by loading the high poly as a reference and basically lets you draw the new low poly over it. Along with Topogun I was also introduced to a max script called maxretopo which worked in a similar way by drawing vertices of a low poly object to the surface of the high poly, in the end I imported the low poly model I made in Topogun and quickly used maxretopo to finely adjust it.
Here's the final low poly with normals:

The poly count was drastically reduced using this method, almost halved. Also I think the bake came out a lot better on this model especially around the nose area of the skull.

No comments:

Post a Comment